Prep Time: 60 Minutes | Cook Time: 4-8 Hours
Level: Intermediate | Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 3 – 4 lb Eye of Round Roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil (other neutral taste oil such canola or corn, will work fine)
- Granulated sugar
- Baby carrots
- Bell pepper
- Bay leaves
- Beef stock
- Beef bouillon
- red wine full bodied e.g. cabernet sauvignon or merlot
- Marsala wine
- Prepare the beef: cut off any large, fatty membrane.
- Place the beef in a resealable bag add salt and pepper to taste, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Seal and squish around to combine. Place in the refrigerator to marinate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- When ready to cook remove meat from marinade.
- Seal the meat for all sides in a a large heavy-based pan over high heat. Transfer beef to the slow cooker.
- Add onions, carrots, green pepper, oregano, bay leaves, beef stock, beef bouillon, and wines to the slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours.
- Open the slow cooker and remove the beef. Let the meat rest for 5 min and then place roast on cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch thick pieces. Set aside.
- Transfer the liquid and veggies to the blender and puree into a smooth sauce – it will change from a dark brown to a lighter brown color. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and bring to simmer over medium heat. Add the papelon (brown sugar cane), mix well and simmer until the sauce turns a darker brown color and reduces by to a gravy consistency, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced meat and simmer for 10 – 15 more minutes.
- Serve hot with mash potatoes or white rice.
- Top with our Avocado Sriracha to add vibrant flavors.
Recipe credit: https://mommyshomecooking.com/